Sunday 19 April 2015

Low FODMAP Vegan Rainbow Buddha Bowl


Hi again Fodmappers - Guess who's discovered Buddha Bowls?

There is something incredibly satisfying about preparing (and eating) a meal which is as pretty as this, so I'd like to start today's post by saying 'thank you' to Sam for introducing me to Buddha Bowls.

If you haven't come across them yet, Buddha Bowls are a nutritious mixture of raw and cooked foods which typically include a starch, fresh vegetables, a protein, seeds and a dressing. You can make them from left overs as well as from fresh ingredients. I must have been feeling organised as I made mine fresh but prepared enough for a packed lunch the following day.

In fact I must have been feeling more than a bit organized, as though this meal doesn't take long to create, you do need to plan ahead if you want to use home sprouted seeds like I did. I wanted to include sprouted quinoa and buckwheat for the Vegans amongst you as these contain all essential amino acids - and also because I hadn't tried sprouting quinoa before. If you want to do the same you'll need to get them sprouting in advance. Mine were ready for harvest in just 2 days.

I chose to use rice noodles as the starch layer as I wanted to create an oriental style Buddha Bowl (it seemed appropriate) and made an easy, garlic infused ginger and soy sauce to drizzle over the top. Even though I say it myself, it was rather good. But you could just as easily combine meditteranean ingredients such as tomatoes, olives, feta cheese, basil and pine nuts, served on a wheat free pasta base. Get the idea? A Buddha Bowl is less of a recipe and more of a meditation in bringing together some yummy (low-fodmap) ingredients in tasty way.

And as we're often told to include as many different coloured fruit and vegetables as possible, I couldn't resist making a rainbow! Yes, I'm completely embracing my inner hippy with this one.

So here's my Low-fodmap, Oriental inspired, Vegan, Rainbow Buddha Bowl. I hope you enjoy it.


Low-Fodmap Vegan Rainbow Buddha Bowl


I used

Rice Noodles
Slices of Red Bell Pepper
Strips of Carrot
Slices of Yellow Pepper
Slivers of peeled Cucumber
Mixed salad leaves
Finely sliced Red Cabbage
Sprouted Quinoa and Buckwheat
A few Almond slices.
Garlic Infused Oil
Wheat Free Soy Sauce
Grated Ginger

Method

Start by preparing the rice noodles. Simply pour boiling water over the noodles and allow to stand for about 3 minutes. Drain then rinse well in cold water to cool. Leave to drain while you prepare the dressing.

Combine the grated ginger, garlic infused oil and soy sauce to make the dressing.

Place the noodles in the bottom of your bowl and arrange your salad ingredients as you like them. Top with the sprouted quinoa and buckwheat.

Pour the ginger and garlic oil over your salad and sprinkle with sliced almonds.

Relax next to a stream of blossoming lotuses (in your mind at least) as you savour your yummy low-fodmap Buddha Bowl. Reality can wait.


A word about Red Cabbage

At the time of writing this post, the fodmap content of red cabbage has not been analysed. Both Savoy cabbage and common cabbage have been tested by Monash University and it's been found that Savoy has a high fodmap content while common cabbage is low. Having said that, the same source states that up to half a cup of Savoy should be tolerated by most people with IBS, even though it is high. Though this sounds like a contradiction, it should be remembered that fodmaps do not need to be avoided completely but simply kept to a low level. I used only the smallest amount of red cabbage here but if you are concerned that it may be a trigger for you, simply leave it out.

'Til next time Fodmappers - Stay Fabulous. x

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! Did you sprout plain 'ol quinoa from a packet (and soak in advance), or did you have to buy special seeds? I do have some sprouting seeds that are on the go at the moment, but I have a spare third layer that I could use! I also very much like the idea of using food as a meditation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Callie - Yes just plain old quinoa. I soaked it for about 15 minutes but I'm not sure it even needed that. It sprouted beautifully. Try it. :)

      Delete
    2. That is beautiful!! I am definitely keen to make this - what a simple and delightful recipe. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
    3. My pleasure Samantha.

      Delete
  2. SO beautiful!!! I loveeee this salad :)

    ReplyDelete