Monday 9 March 2015

Low-FODMAP Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble
























You know how sometimes you promise yourself you'll just have a little dessert, and before you know it you're having seconds?

Hi again Fodmappers

I've been longing for rhubarb crumble for a while and finally remembered to buy in what I needed. After dinner this evening I finally got my wish. I love the simplicity and the sharpness of rhubarb. It's real comfort food. And it tastes even better than I remembered.

But I imagine you might be a little cautious about rhubarb. After all, doesn't it have a reputation for being a laxative? Well that's true, but it is also low-fodmap. Confused? Keep reading ...

Without getting too complicated, rhubarb is high in fibre and can be a gentle laxative. Some Fodmappers might find this beneficial as a low-fodmap diet can in fact be low in fibre. However, it can also reduce diarrhoea by adding bulk to stools. (This is not unlike the effect of some prescription laxatives.) But most importantly from our point of view, as it is low-fodmap, we know that it isn't likely to trigger symptoms of IBS. In fact Monash (who we have to thanks for developing the low-fodmap diet) states that up to a cup of chopped rhubarb 'should be tolerated by most individuals with IBS'. (1)

Up to a cup? That sounds like a generous portion of rhubarb to me! And I like rhubarb! So, with rhubarb given the green light, here's my recipe for a tasty crumble.

I used stem ginger instead of sugar to sweeten the rhubarb, partly because I love the combination of ginger and rhubarb, and partly because there is plenty of sugar in the crumble topping. If you don't like ginger, just leave it out and maybe add a little sugar or maple syrup instead.

I also added a little ground almond to the crumble. Up to 10 almonds are low-fodmap and though I haven't calculate how many almonds are equivalent to 1/4 cup of ground, I figure that as the recipe serves 4 this should still be within the 'safe' limit for most people. Of course, if you know you're sensitive to nuts, just leave them out.

One final word of caution - this is yummy! (Even though I say so myself). And as you'll be aware from the discussion above regarding the acceptable amount of rhubarb and almonds, portion size is vitally important when it comes to keeping your tummy happy. If you think you're going to find this crumble hard to resist you could cook it in little ramekins and limit yourself to just the one. And they'd look cute too.

Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble


Serves 4 - 6

For the filling

500g of frozen rhubarb (defrosted)
4 pieces of stem ginger
Approx 2 Tbsp of water

For the Crumble

1 cup of Doves Farm gluten free plain white flour
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of butter or vegetable margarine
1/3 cup of oats
1/4 cup of ground almond
1 tsp of cinnamon

1. Place the rhubarb in a pan with the water to prevent it burning.
2. Cut the stem ginger into small pieces and add to the pan.
3. Cover the pan and simmer until the rhubarb begins to soften. Remove from heat.
4. Add the flour and butter to a bowl and rub together until it forms large breadcrumbs.
5. Add the sugar, oats, ground almonds and cinnamon to the flour and stir through.
6. Put the rhubarb and ginger filling into a greased ovenproof dish.
7. Spoon the crumble filling on top.
8. Cook in the oven for approx. 30 minutes.

Enjoy with lactose free cream or yogurt.

'Til next time Fodmappers - Stay fabulous.

(1). From the Monash phone app.

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I would be the only one eating it in my house, but it would be worth making. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete