Thursday 29 January 2015

7 Low FODMAP Breakfast Ideas


Hi again Fabulous Fodmappers - How are you? (I don't call you 'fabulous' enough, but I hope you know you are?)

I apologise for being a little late with this weeks post, I'm just getting over a sinus infection. Looking on the bright side I managed to avoid antibiotics which I'm happy about as I don't want to mess with my gut flora if I can avoid it. I think it just needed a little time and rest.

But I'm happy to say I'm feeling better now and back to my usual excited self. I can never quite express how much going low-FODMAP has changed my life for the better, but I know there are some of you who still find the whole thing daunting. (I did at first too). I also understand that if you're still quite poorly with your IBS, you probably don't want to spend hours searching the net for info. So I thought this week I'd just share some different low-FODMAP breakfast suggestions to inspire you.

As always, the suggestions here are vegetarian (because I am). If you wish to include meat in your low-FODMAP diet you can do as meat does not contain FODMAPs. Just be sure to avoid anything too fatty as that may trigger symptoms too.

7 Low-FODMAP Breakfast Ideas 


1. Porridge made with lactose-free milk and sweetened with banana, raspberries, blueberries or strawberries. (Any of these fruit are suitable but remember to keep to one portion with each meal to keep fructose levels low). I also like to add a little coconut oil and a sprinkle of cinnamon to mine. More info on bananas here.

2. Omelettes make a great protein packed breakfast and you can add tomatoes, spinach, courgette, spring onion greens, cheese and herbs to make it the way you like it.

3. Scrambled tofu on gluten free bread makes a nice breakfast which is not only low-FODMAP it is also suitable for vegans. But note, not all gluten free breads are low-FODMAP. Check the ingredients list to be sure the bread does not contain soya or apple.

4. Fancy something sweet in the morning? How about buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup? (For more on buckwheat click here). Again be sure to use a lactose free milk.

5. Make your own muesli. Shop bought muesli tends to contain wheat, dried fruit or whey powder which you want to avoid. So make your own from ingredients such as quinoa flakes, rice flakes, oats, nuts, seeds and dried banana chips. Yum!

6. Or what about cheese and tomatoes on gluten-free toast?

7. And finally, Rice Krispies! Ok that might not sound like the healthiest breakfast option but they are low-FODMAP (of course the lactose-free milk rule will apply) and I like to show you that low-FODMAP doesn't have to be complicated. I think it's also good to know there are easy options for children with IBS.

So there you have it, a different breakfast idea for every day of the week. And I didn't even include muffins. You might also like to check out the Chachouka recipe here. (Doesn't that make 9 suggestions in total?)

If you have any more ideas - please post them in the comments below. In the meantime, be nice and share this post on facebook, pinterest and google + using the icons below. Chances are that some of your friends also have IBS and don't like to talk about. A click from you could help them on the road to recovery. Many thanks - and stay fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment